50 Sqn. (10/41)

Operational Flights (October 1941)

16.     10th October 1941     DUNKIRK (FRANCE)

Take off time 1850 from Swinderby.  Hampden 369.  Crew: Pilot P/O Bartley, Sgt. Packard, Sgt. Layne, Sgt. Pullin.

This aircraft was detailed to bomb the docks at Dunkirk and was successful. The outward and return journeys were uneventful but very heavy, accurate flak was encountered over Dunkirk between 10,000 feet and 12,000 feet.  Visibility was good and the town was definitely located.  The bomb bursts were not observed owing to violent evasive action being necessary.  A force of 23 Hampdens took part in this raid.  The aircraft and crew returned to base after a 3.05-hour operation.

17.     13th October 1941     HAMBURG (HULS) (GERMANY)

Take off time 0005 from Swinderby. Hampden 852.  Crew: Pilot Sgt. Lord, Sgt. Yard, Sgt. Layne (Wireless Operator) Sgt. Meeking.

Bomber Command dispatched a total of  90 aircraft against this target.  The crew was detailed to bomb the Synthetic Rubber Factory at Huls (Hamburg.)  Track was maintained as far as Enkhuizen (Holland) but after experiencing considerable difficulty with the intercom the pilot,  Sgt. Lord,  decided to return to base, total flight time 5.40 hours.

18.     20th October 1941     BREMEN (GERMANY)

Take off time 1820 from Swinderby.  Hampden 852.  Crew Pilot: Sgt. Lord, Sgt. Yard, Sgt. Layne (Wireless Operator,) Sgt. Meeking.

One of 153 this aircraft was detailed to bomb an aiming point in Bremen.  On arrival pinpointing the target was difficult due to the thick clouds.  After a fruitless search, Wilhelmshaven was attacked instead from an altitude of 14,000 feet.  A total flight time from taking off to return to the base of 7.15 hours was logged.

19.     23rd October 1941     KIEL (GERMANY)

Take off time 0030 from Swinderby.  Hampden 394.  Crew: Pilot Sgt. Lord, Sgt. Yard, Sgt Layne (Wireless Operator,) Sgt. Meeking.

Bomber Command sent 114 aircraft against the Deutsche Works U-Boat yards.  50 Squadron sent 16 aircraft tasked with bombing an aiming point in Kiel.  Just 69 of the attacking aircraft reached the target area.   A pinpoint was made from the A.A. fire from Sylt and the Aero Islands. The crew encountered 5/10th to 6/10th cloud over the target but the visibility was good through gaps.  The bombs were dropped from 14,000 feet. and the bursts were seen by the crew.    In total 50 Squadron expended a total of 6 x 1,000 lb. bombs, 40 x 500 lb. bombs, 16 x 250 lb. bombs and 1,924 lbs. of incendiaries on this raid.  An uneventful trip home with a total of 7.50 flying hours was logged by the crew.

On 26th October 1941, 50 Squadron had a change of command ceremony.  The very popular W/C Gus Walker handed over to W/C “Beetle” Oxley.

20.    29th October 1941      SCHIPOL AIRPORT AMSTERDAM (HOLLAND)

Take off time 2210 from Swinderby.  Hampden 852.  Crew: Pilot Sgt. Lord, Sgt. Yard, Sgt. Layne (Wireless Operator,) Sgt. Skellet.

50 Squadron sent 19 aircraft out of a force of 45 that were detailed to attack Amsterdam Airport, Schipol.  From 50 Squadron only 6 aircraft were successful in finding and attacking the primary target.  Defenses over the target were reported as heavy. Many aircraft met difficult weather conditions and three aircraft returned with mechanical failures. Bad weather conditions were encountered by the crew with heavy rain and 10/10th cloud which made locating the target extremely difficult.   Consequently, the bombs were bought back to base after a flight time of 4.20 hours.

21.     31st October 1941     HAMBURG (GERMANY)

Take off time 1750 from Swinderby.   Hampden 852.  Crew: Pilot Sgt. Lord, Sgt. Yard, Sgt. Layne (Wireless Operator) Sgt. Christy.

50 Squadron was detailed to bomb the Bloehm and Voss yards at Hamburg.  This aircraft returned as the main oxygen master tap could not be used.  The wing bombs were jettisoned on account of static and icing.  3.40 hours of operational flight were logged. A force of 123 aircraft was dispatched on this operation but due to bad visibility in the target area, only 56  crews reported to have bombed Hamburg.

Hampden L4135 passes over a Beyer-Garratt steam engine

Flying Log Book (October 1941)

Wally’s Flying Log Book for October 1941 reads as follows:

Operational Flights (November 1941)

22.     8th November 1941     ESSEN (GERMANY)

Take off time 1810 from Swinderby.  Hampden 852.  Crew: Pilot Sgt. Lord, Sgt. Dickinson, Sgt. Layne (Wireless Operator,) Sgt. Meeking.

50 Squadron supplied 9 aircraft, part of a force of 54 aircraft that took part in this night’s operation to bomb an armament factory in Essen.  Only one 50 Squadron aircraft succeeded in reaching and finding the target.   Of the other 50 Squadron aircraft, two bombed Dusseldorf whilst four bombed the town of Essen itself.  Of the two remaining aircraft, one attacked an aerodrome and the other returned shortly after setting course on account of an intercom failure. The target could not be located by the crew listed above owing to poor visibility and 6/10th cloud and the town of Essen was bombed.  It was a very quite trip apart from the time spent over the target area and the aircraft returned to base after 5.05 hours.

On 26th November 1941, 50 Squadron moved from Swinderby to Skellingthorpe.

Flying Log Book (November 1941)

Wally’s Flying Log Book for November 1941 reads as follows:

Flying Log Book (December 1941)

Wally’s Flying Log Book for December 1941 reads as follows:

>> 50 Squadron (3)